The ACT Container Deposit Scheme
At Woolworths, we work tirelessly to keep the price of your groceries down.
However, the introduction of a new ACT Government Container Deposit Scheme will mean that the price of many beverages will be increasing in our stores.
From June 30th, you’ll be able to earn a 10¢ refund for every eligible container you return to an approved ACT collection point.
For more information please visit:
ACT CDS - https://www.actcds.com.au/
Frequently Asked Questions
Single use beverage containers make up the majority of all litter found in the environment. So the ACT Government is introducing the Container Deposit Scheme to encourage the community to recycle their drinks containers and keep them off our streets and out of our parks.
Most empty 150ml to 3-litre beverage containers will be eligible for a 10¢ refund. Container materials that may be eligible for a refund include:
- Plastic (PET and HDPE)
- Liquid paperboard (Cartons)
Containers should be empty and in a reasonable condition.
Containers that can’t be deposited for a refund include:
- Containers designed to contain less than 150ml or more than 3L of beverage
- Plain milk (or milk substitute) containers
- Flavoured milk containers of 1 litre or more
- Pure fruit or vegetable juice containers of 1 litre or more
- Glass containers for wine and spirits
- Casks for wine or water of 1 litre or more
- Sachets for wine of 250ml or more
- Containers for wine of 250ml or more
- Containers for cordials and concentrated fruit/vegetable juices
- Registered health tonics
As well as the 10¢ initiative refund, an initiative admin fee has been included in the price increase. This admin fee covers the cost of operating and administering the initiative.
Here's an example of what that may mean for a 24-pack of soft drink cans
Original price (Incl. GST)
10c refund plus the cost to administer the scheme (24 x 10.17¢ refund)*
GST applied to Refund and cost to administer the scheme
New price (Incl. GST)
*The Container Deposit Scheme admin fee covers the costs of operating and administering the initiative and may vary by container type and over time. Rate is correct as per published rates April 2018.
The container refunds take effect from June 30th. After that date you will earn 10¢ for all eligible containers you return.