Learn how to bake Chocolate Chip Cookies with Nephi!
Hi, I’m Nephi! I’m 5 years old and Dad taught me how to make the best cookies ever. They’re soooo yummy plus it’s fun to boss my Dad around the kitchen. You can use any chocolate but check you have extra, because Dad says sampling chocolate is the most important step.
- Takes: 30 minutes
- Makes: A lot
- Everything you need to bake:
- 250g (8oz) butter, softened (Soft enough to smoosh but not soft enough to swim in)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (This is to make it smell good!)
- 3⁄4 cup (165g) caster (superfine) sugar
- 3⁄4 cup (165g) firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg (Make sure it’s not cracked yet!)
- 21⁄4 cups (335g) plain (all-purpose) flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda - This makes them rise a little)
- About 375g (12oz) dark chocolate, chopped (As much as Dad will let you, plus more) * See Dad's tips below for amendments
- Step 1 Ask a parent to put the oven to 180°C. (Be careful, the oven is gonna get really, really hot!)
Wash your hands really well, then grease the oven trays with butter and line them with baking paper (This will stop them from sticking to the pan - Your Mum or Dad can help if you need them to).
- Step 2 Ask Mum and Dad to help you beat the butter, vanilla, sugars and egg together in an electric mixer. It might get a bit messy!
- Step 3 Dollop the mixture into a large bowl. Slowly sift in the flour and baking soda in 2 batches because if you don’t, it goes everywhere.
- This is the most important part. Put in the chocolate and also try some because it’s yummy. (psst… when your Mum or Dad looks away, I like to try it again to make sure it still tastes good!)
- Step 4 Take big tablespoons of the mixture and roll them into a ball with your hands - about the size of your palm.
- Put them on the tray but not super close together. Squish them a little so they sit on the tray without rolling off. Dad’s top tip: Make sure everyone washes their hands after rolling the mixture because it contains raw egg!
Try not to eat the cookies as your Mum or Dad helps you put them in the oven. When cookies are raw, they can make your tummy hurt.
- Step 5 The cookies have to be in the oven for 15 minutes or until they’re golden in colour. While you wait, try some chocolate.
Leave the cookies to cool on the trays after your Mum or Dad takes them out of the oven but DON’T eat them. Keep an eye out for sneaky sisters or brothers!
- Once they are cool, eat them! I like mine with milk.
- Keep the cookies in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week but let’s be honest, between me and dad, they’re never going to last that long.
- Dad's Tips:
- For adults, use chocolate with 70% cocoa solids for a richer taste. For kids, use milk chocolate.
- For chewy cookies, leave them in for about 12 minutes. For crunchier cookies, leave them in for longer.
- For chocolate nut cookies, swap out ⅓ of the chocolate with roasted nuts like walnuts, hazelnuts or macadamias. For nut free cookies, swap them for toasted seeds like sesame or sunflower.
- Don't forget to add your favourite fruits (Cranberries / Blueberries / Raspberries etc) to make them a little more balanced
For more recipes like this check out: Baking: The Complete Collection.